[Logo] Function Point Analysis And Software Estimation Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
instance dependency  XML
Forum Index » Counting Related Questions
Admin

How to count, if two entities are in 1:n or 1:1 relationship and one has instance dependency on another..
psoneira

[Avatar]

I need more information for answer this question. We need to know if an entity is or not meaningful or significant to the business.

We need to understand the business rules, for determine whether entity B is dependent on or independent of A.

When the relationship between two entities is 1 : 1, always A and B are dependent, and you should count 1 LF

PMP ( Madrid 2008 ), CFPS ( Roma 2007 )
Product Manager
Sopra Consulting
[Email] [WWW]
Admin

Hi Psoneira ,

we don't have more information. Customer has one or more Address.

If you delete a Customer, you also have to delete all its Adresses ..
psoneira

[Avatar]

If you delete a Customer, you also have to delete all its Adresses. Then, Address is not meaningful or is not significant to the business, in and of itself without the presence of Customer.

Address is entity dependent on Customer. Then, FPA counts the entities Customer and Address as one logical file

PMP ( Madrid 2008 ), CFPS ( Roma 2007 )
Product Manager
Sopra Consulting
[Email] [WWW]
Ryan Schofield

I've got a related question that I think will help expand on this topic:

We've got an application to handle Customer Payments. We have an ILF for Customer information (aka probably customer info is split into a few tables, but they together comprise the ILF). We have another table to store customer payments.

Just from that info, would you count the "Payments" table as a separate ILF from "Customer"? I don't know how "Payments" info would be independent of Customers, but do you really have to know more about the use of the payments information (i.e. look at additional requirements)? The only way "Payments" would be independent is if there is a requirement to report on the Payments info without referencing/including any information from "Customers", right?
moeztuerk

Hi Ryan,

according IFPUG-CPM are the Payments & Customers 1 ILF to count, if they have instance dependency. It means you have delete all payments of a customer, if the customer has been. deleted.

But if the payment information (without customer) are relevant for the company, you can also delete you customers without deleting theirs payments. In this case you 2 ILF Payment & Customer.

Have a nice day
M. Ozturk

Forum Index » Counting Related Questions
Go to: