[Logo] Function Point Analysis And Software Estimation Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Adding "Communication Layer" to Application  XML
Forum Index » Counting Related Questions
Ryan Schofield

I have an enhancement project where we have added an communication layer that sits between the application and the database. The layer will receive all our existing queries and pass them to the database, then receive the results from the database and pass back to the application. This was a major infrastructure change as it required rewriting all the transactions that were previously referencing the database so they now point to the communication layer.

I'm thinking I don't count any of this as it doesn't impact the user--everything is back-end performance/technical improvements. Do you agree?
moeztuerk

Hi Ryan,

I agree with you....
Edwin van Gorp

I agree! The functionality offered to the end user does not change, so this change does not have a functional size.
Ryan Schofield

Thanks everyone! This was a great first trip to this site (recommended by my mentor). I look forward to contuining here for support (and hopefully providing some as well).
RoyceEdwards

I would agree with what has already been said, because I'm believing that the application boundary existed before this layer was introduced.

So it's that correct to say the end user has no visible difference to the way they do work.

If you wish to measure the size of the communications layer, by itself, you would set a bounday around that piece and measure it by itself.

Forum Index » Counting Related Questions
Go to: